Thursday, September 16, 2010

There Goes My Neighborhood..

As we all may know, of course white people are the majority in America and every other race is considered a minority.  I happen to be a part of that minority group.  One of the major times that I can remember a clash since I've gotten older and been able to realize when situations like that will occur was when I first moved into m neighborhood.  My family and I became the second black family on our block, the other family stays next door to the right of us coincidentally.  On the day we moved in, the other black family came over and welcomed us.  It was a mother and father along with two children, one was a sixteen year old boy and a ten year old girl.  They treated us as if they had already known us for a while, and were very comfortable around us.  They came in and checked out our house and stayed a while to talk.  They even made us a cake (which is the type of stuff you usually see on television, but I'm serious).  After they had spent about a hour and a half with us, making sure we were all settled and adapted, they went back home.  However they felt comfortable enough to leave their daughter over for a while to play with the children that were at my house visiting with their parents and helping unpack.
A few hours later a family of our white neighbors came over.  They introduced themselves and welcomed us also.  My family and I introduced ourselves also, but afterwards they started asking us a lot of crazy questions.  They were a little noisy for it to be their first time meeting us, I might add.  A couple of the questions seemed offensive the way they would ask it.  They were asking things like, "Wow, all of you guys live here?" because of the families that were over helping us unpack, it was about ten people in our house.  Then they put this look on their face, and after we told them no they had a look of relief.  Then they told us that they were sure we had made a major upgrade, as if they knew where we moved from.  They also asked my parents what they did (occupation wise), like that was important.  The only thing was they never told us about theirselves (no more than their names) and never even stepped a foot in the door of our new home.

1 comment:

  1. I personally hate racial ignorance. I crack some jokes every once in awhile, but stereotypes bother me (at least the offensive ones anyways). That must have felt kind of awkward. For people who only look at you for your appearance, you should ignore them. Everyone wants acceptance so find people who accept you guys. I thought it was kind of funny how the black families lived close together & actually Mexicans are the minority now haha

    ReplyDelete